Diabetes Awareness in the care home setting. A 1-day course for non-registered practitioners working in the elderly care home setting.
Outline of content
The course is designed for non-registered practitioners working in an elderly care home setting. We will raise awareness of diabetes-related issues that face people with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes living in residential and nursing homes. This will enable course attendees to actively recognise and communicate any concerns and strengthen communication between care home staff and allied healthcare professionals, ultimately preventing unnecessary hospital admissions. We refer to Diabetes UK’s resident’s passport throughout the programme.
- What is diabetes, both type 1 and type 2
- The Diabetes UK resident’s diabetes passport and preparation for a diabetes review appointment
- Blood glucose monitoring and target setting
- Nutrition key messages
- Hyperglycaemia and illness management
- Foot care
- End of life care
- ‘When to call the GP’ and how to avoid unnecessary hospital admissions
- Individual registration is not currently available. Course dates will be posted online for 2021.
- Courses can be commissioned locally to you. The national team will travel to a venue of your choice and deliver the course. Registration will be open to invited healthcare professionals in the local vicinity. To commission a course a minimum of 15 students is required and a maximum 50
1-day of face-to-face or live, online sessions. Duration 6.5 hours
You will receive access to a pdf workbook and we recommend you print it out. The course will be delivered live, online, using the ZOOM platform. You will require a computer or tablet with a microphone and camera.
Course dates will be posted online for 2021. Cost £134.40
Non-registered practitioners (including managers) working in the elderly care home setting
To commission a local course please contact us for an individual quote based on number of students and location.
National course dates will be posted online for 2021. Cost £134.40 (online course price)