HCA PITstop 1-day diabetes course was developed for non-registered practitioners working in General practice, already involved or keen to become involved in the provision of care for people at high risk of diabetes and type 2 diabetes.
- Individual registration is not available
- Courses can be commissioned locally to you. The national team will travel to a venue of your choice and deliver the course. Registration will be open to invited healthcare professionals in the local vicinity. To commission a course a minimum of 12 students is required and a maximum 30
1-day of face-to-face sessions. Duration 6.5 hours
Students have access to a paper workbook and interactive pdf workbook.
- Non-registered practitioners including Healthcare Assistants and Assistant Practitioners
- Nursing Associates
- Are involved in delivering diabetes services or planning to become involved in delivering diabetes services in general practice
- Are be prepared to find a mentor in their practice and work with them to achieve relevant-to-role HCA PITstop competencies
Outline of content
This 1-day diabetes course focuses on preparing non-registered practitioners to get involved in both the prediabetes and diabetes pathways. They will gain an understanding of the care pathways for people with prediabetes and type 2 diabetes, the screening tasks involved and key lifestyle messages to help support people achieve their individual goals.
- care pathways for high risk and type 2 diabetes, including the Diabetes Prevention Programme and structured education programmes for type 2 diabetes
- screening tests associated with the annual reviews (including foot assessment and recording risk)
- how to maintain the Practice ‘diabetes box’ containing blood glucose/ketone monitoring equipment and hypoglycaemia treatment
- key lifestyle messages
- exploring the scope of practice of HCAs in diabetes care and the competency assessment/mentorship requirements.
To commission a local course please contact us for an individual quote based on number of students and location.